Saturday 12 December 2009

Attempt 12: Veal Cacciatore

I can't seem to get some sleep nowadays. I blame my sleepless nights because of my dad's annoying loud snore. Every time I go to bed I would wish I was a quick sleeper. Unfortunately I have to count the sheep before I doze off to blank land. Due to countless "Bah, bah, black sheep..", I woke up late and found out I had 3 hours to cook for lunch.

As I lunged the meat out of the frozen mountains of Everest, I submerge the icy veal with boiling hot water. I have an hour to wait for the icy veal to get on its feet and ready to chopped.

Prepare the tool kits skillets, ladle, measuring cups, wide shallow bowl, knife, chopping board, and serving plate.

The following ingredients serves four people. 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, 4 4-oz. veal cutlets, pounded 1/4 inch thick kosher salt and freshly ground peppers, 2 tbs. extra virgin olive oil, 1 tbs. unsalted butter, 1 small yellow onion (chopped), 2 medium cloves garlic (minced), 8 oz. sliced cremini mushrooms (3 1/2 cups), 1 cup canned diced tomatoes with juices, 1/2 cup dry white wine, and 1 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary.

Put the flour in a wide shallow bowl. Season the cutlets all over with 1 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. pepper. Dredge in the flour and shake off any excess. Heat the oil in a 12 inch skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering hot. Working in batches if necessary, cook the cutlets until dark golden brown, 1 - 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a large plate as they finish.

In the same skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until they release their liquid and it reduces to a glaze, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, wine, and rosemary. Bring back to a simmer, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until the sauce is thickened, about 7 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the cutlets and any accumulated juices to the sauce and cook until heated through, 1 - 2 minutes. Serve immediately.

When I was cooking the veal to taste because I had no time to marinate it, I boiled it with beef broth so as to tenderize it at the same time.

I prepared our lunch just in time the tasters came. I'm happy that this was the first time I made this attempt and surprisingly the tasters were pleased.

0 comments:

Post a Comment